Skip to Content of Page
The University of Montana - Missoula  

Course Catalog 2003-2004

Catalog Home Page Index of Catalog Subjects Academic Calendar  


Housing and Dining Services

Residence Halls Community

The University of Montana-Missoula residence halls' community is very much a part of the total University and Missoula communities. The campus is a center for educational, cultural, and social activities. Residing in residence halls places the student at the center of these activities. Our mission is creating an atmosphere that is safe, provides for individual growth, and promotes academic exploration and learning. The University houses nearly 2300 students in nine residence halls on campus. The residence halls staff are resource people. Sharing ideas, observations or questions with them will benefit residents. Resident Assistants offer help when students experience problems with University life.

The University of Montana-Missoula requires all freshmen and students who have earned fewer than 30 semester credits to reside in the University's residence halls. Students are required to continue residence hall living until the student earns 30 semester credits. Any student who moves into the residence halls at the beginning of the semester is required to reside in the residence hall for the entire semester. (However, students must be enrolled for at least seven credits to be eligible to live in a residence hall.) Exceptions to residence hall living are made for students who reside with their parents and for students who are married or are single parents. Other exceptions are made under special circumstances on an individual basis. Any student requesting an exception to the residency requirements must submit a request in writing, accompanied by supporting documentation, to the Director of Residence Life. Students are not released from the residency requirements until the student receives an official notification from the Director of Residence Life. Students who have earned 30 semester credits or more are not subject to the residency requirements but are encouraged to live on campus. All students living in the residence halls are required to contract for one of the on-campus meal plans.

Rooms in residence halls are provided in order of application. Freshman students required to live in Residence Halls who submit their residence hall application and $100.00 prepayment by the priority Admission deadline of March 1, will be guaranteed permanent housing assignments. Application forms and information may be obtained by writing the Residence Life Office.

A number of rooms have been designed to accommodate students with disabilities. Application for these rooms is made to the Residence Life Office. The Director of Residence Life or the Office of Disability Services for Students, (406) 243-2243, should be contacted to ensure the necessary accommodations are provided or visit our website at

Lewis and Clark Village

(Upperclass and Graduate Housing)

Lewis and Clark is a No-Smoking apartment facility designated for single students at The University of Montana without dependents who will have accumulated at least 60 credit hours by the time they move into the apartments. The apartments are located off campus just south of Dornblaser Stadium on South Higgins Avenue. They are within easy walking or biking distance from the University and will be adjacent to Park n' Ride which provides free and easy transportation to the UM campus. The apartments are furnished with all utilities paid including cable TV.

Prospective tenants may submit applications together with a requested roommate(s). If a tenant does not have a roommate preference, the Residence Life Office will assign roommates based on like gender. As space allows we will attempt to take into consideration other preference such as age, smoking, alcohol consumption, and length of agreement.

How to Apply. Applications are available on the website at, by calling in a request to the Residence Life Office at 406-243-2611, or sending an email message to Your application must be accompanied by $250.00, ($20.00 which is a non-refundable processing fee and $230.00 which is a prepayment toward your first month's rent). A damage deposit of $400.00 and the remaining 1st months rent will be required before moving into the apartment. If you cancel before you move in, a $230.00 cancellation fee will be assessed.

A complete set of policies, photos and site map are available on the website at

Dining Services

Winner of nine international dining awards and home to nationally renowned chefs, University Dining Services is dedicated to providing students with a variety of quality food choices, convenience, reasonable prices, and friendly guest service. Our extensive variety of dining options include: the Food Zoo, the Cascade Country Store, La Peak, the Food Court, BiSip, Biz Buzz and the Think Tank. All University Dining Services locations accept cash, checks, the UM Debit Card and appropriate meal plans.

The Food Zoo, located in the Lommasson Center, serves nutritious, self-serve, buffet-style meals with unlimited seconds. The menu includes an ever-changing choice of entrees, homemade soups, an extensive salad bar, fresh fruits, fresh baked desserts, traditional fast food favorites, and vegetarian selections. All meal Plans, cash, checks and the UM Debit card are accepted at the Food Zoo.

The Cascade Country Store, located at the east end of the Lommasson Center, boasts a bright, food-court style atmosphere with pizzas, Mexican food, grilled favorites and a fresh deli. Soups, salads, deli sandwiches, Bear Claw Bakery specialties, a wide variety of grocery items, organic products, and health and beauty aids are just some of the options available. The expansive outside deck is a popular stop for many students. All meal plans, cash, checks and the UM Debit Card are accepted at the Cascade Country Store.

For a peak experience you'll never forget...stop by LaPeak, located in the Lommasson Center. La Peak features Graven's gourmet coffee and espresso drinks, fresh fruit smoothies, delicious juice blends, and Bear Claw Bakery goodies. The log furniture and lodge-like atmosphere make a great place to meet and socialize with friends. All meal plans, cash, checks and the UM Debit Card are accepted at La Peak.

The UC Food Court, located on the second floor of the University Center, rivals all other food courts with a contemporary, open atmosphere, and exceptional cuisine. Food choices include The Grizzly Grille, Pizza Hut, Taco Time, Junga Juice, The Bear Claw Bakery, Garden City Greens, Soups & Such, Eastside Deli, and Pacific Rim. The Grizzly meal plan, cash, checks and the UM Debit Card are accepted at the UC Food Court.

The BiSip, located in the beautiful new Fitness and Recreation Center, features sandwiches, salads, natural juices, smoothies, coffee and espresso, and healthy items for before and after your workout. The Grizzly and Silver meal plans, cash, checks and the UM Debit Card are accepted at the BiSip.

Biz Buz, located on the lower level of the Gallaher Business Building can help you jump start your day with a fresh cup of Starbuck's coffee, espresso, Chai tea, and a bagel or fresh baked goodie. The Grizzly meal plan, cash, checks and the UM Debit Card are accepted at Biz Buz.

The Think Tank, located on the South side of campus above the Urey Lecture Hall, offers Graven's coffee, espresso, Chai tea, Italian soda, ice-cold beverages, and grab and go items like sandwiches, soups, salads, and snacks. The Grizzly meal plan, cash, checks and the UM Debit Card are accepted at the Think Tank.

Meal Plans

All students living in a residence hall must purchase a meal plan. UM Dining Services offers three different meal plans: the Grizzly, the Silver and the Copper. Each plan provides a weekly meal fund balance from which meal purchases are deducted.

The Grizzly meal plan provides campus-wide dining flexibility and is accepted at all Dining Services Locations. The Silver meal plan is accepted at the Lommasson Center operations and at the BiSip and the Copper meal plan is only accepted at the Lommasson Center operations.

The only method of accessing meal plan funds is through the University I.D. card, the Griz Card. A student may downgrade a meal plan once during the first two weeks of the semester. Upgrades are accepted all semester. If the student moves out of the residence hall, a prorated refund will be issued. No refunds will be issued for the last four weeks of the semester.

For detailed information on meal plans and other special dining services, please contact the University Dining Services office at 406/243-6325 or visit our web sit at

University Village

The University has 566 apartments for married students, single students with dependents, and students with disabilities who have a live-in care attendant. All apartments are within walking distance of the campus. Units range from studio to four-bedroom apartments.

Eligibility for University Village requires at least one adult member of the household be enrolled for a minimum of seven (7) credits two of the three semesters per year. The student must be registered for at least seven (7) credits the first semester of occupancy. Priority is given to students who are married or otherwise have a legal dependent relationship with another adult; single parents with at least one (1) legal dependent living in the apartment; and single students with disabilities who require a live-in care attendant. Single students may be assigned apartments if other priority applicants do not occupy all available units.

Students residing in University Village must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward an educational degree by earning a minimum sixteen (16) credits per calendar year. After the initial year of residency, satisfactory progress is based upon credits earned during the preceding calendar year. In addition, a student or family with one or more members working toward an educational degree will have priority occupancy for a maximum of six (6) calendar years. Any exception from the above residency policies requires a written request for exception submitted to the University Village Office. The request is not approved until written consent is received from the University Village Office.

Housing is assigned according to the date of application and notification is given approximately twenty (20) days before housing becomes available. All applications must be updated every six (6) months in order for applicants to remain on the assignment list. A $250.00 deposit must be submitted when an apartment is assigned. The deposit is refundable when the rental agreement is terminated provided the apartment rental fees are current and no damage or cleaning fees are assessed. The deposit is forfeited if the student cancels after accepting the assigned apartment.

Due to the demand for University Village housing, the University Village Housing Office should be contacted early to make reservations and obtain detailed information including an application or visit our website at Applications must be accompanied by a $20.00 processing fee.

Personal Property

The University of Montana-Missoula is not responsible, by state law, for damage to, or theft of, the personal property of students on campus (for example: damage to clothing or a stereo due to fire, smoke or water). Students are encouraged to adequately insure their personal property and to protect their property by locking their room/apartment and car and taking other simple precautions to prevent theft and damage.

Career Services

The Office of Career Services assists students in developing viable career objectives and the plans necessary to achieve those goals. Assistance is also provided to students and UM alumni who wish to modify their career goals and improve their employment options. Career Services provides a wide array of services designed to facilitate the transition from education to employment, including: career counseling and assessments; workshops on such topics as resume writing, interviewing and job search strategies; videotaped mock interviews; on-campus interviews with employers; credential files services for teachers; alumni referral network program, an on-line job vacancy service, and student employment.

Career Services maintains an extensive library of current resources on general and specific career options, resume, interviewing and job search reference materials and employment resources from companies, school districts and government entities. The library also maintains listings of current job vacancies from around the country.

Two major career fairs are hosted each year for the purpose of bringing students and employers together to discuss volunteer, internship, part-time and full-time employment opportunities. The Big Sky Career Fair is open to all students and is held in the autumn semester. The Educators' Career Fair is open to teaching, administrative and school counseling professionals and is held in the spring semester.

All UM student are eligible to establish a free Griz eRecruiting account which allows you to post your resume on the web for viewing by and referral to employers, participate in the on-campus recruiting program and view current job vacancies in the online jobs database.

For additional information, contact the Office of Career Services at 154 Lommasson Center, call (406) 243-2022, e-mail: or visit our web site at:

Student Employment

Student Employment provides the opportunity for students and employers to connect. We offer an online job posting system for employers and an online job search and application process for students. We post jobs for on-campus, off-campus, work-study, non work-study, and volunteer employment. We work closely with Financial Aid and Student Payroll to assure students are being hired and paid within the established guidelines. Student Employment hosts two free Student Job Fairs, one in the fall and another in late Spring. We also coordinate National Student Employment Week and the Student Employee of the year (SEOTY) Award.

For additional information, contact the office of Student Employment at 154 Lommasson Center, call (406) 243-5627, email or visit

Internship Services

Internships are available to students in most disciplines offered at The University of Montana-Missoula. Internship services allow a student to work in a field related to his or her academic and career goals while utilizing skills learned in the traditional classroom setting. Information, applications and other forms are available at Internship Services, Lommasson Center 154; phone 406-243-2815; fax 406-243-5866; or visit the web site at:

Disability Services for Students

Students with disabilities can expect access at The University of Montana-Missoula. Wherever possible, the University exceeds mere compliance with the civil rights laws of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Montana Human Rights Act. The University's programs are readily accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. Program access is delivered to the maximum extent feasible and in the most integrated manner. Disability Services for Students (DSS), a student affairs department, leads the University's program access efforts. DSS provides and coordinates reasonable accommodations as well as advocating for an accessible and hospitable learning environment. Examples of DSS services include priority registration, physical accessibility arrangements, academic adjustment, auxiliary aids (readers, scribes, sign language interpreters, etc.), alternative testing, textbook taping and other alternate formats, assistance technology training, and other reasonable accommodations. To achieve equal access, DSS vigorously pursues the removal of informational, physical, and attitudinal barriers to all University programs. "Expect Access", the DSS handbook for students, and a campus accessibility map are available upon request. Students with disabilities are encouraged to plan ahead and contact DSS prior to arriving on campus. For additional information, contact DSS Director Jim Marks, Lommasson Center 154 or (406) 243-2243 (Voice/Text).

Web site:\dss\

Foreign Student and Scholar Services

The office of Foreign Student and Scholar Services (FSSS) assumes responsibility for the general welfare of foreign students at The University of Montana from admission to graduation and practical training. It provides direct support services, consultation, and liaison. The office assists in the reception and orientation of foreign students and helps with integration into the University and community. It interprets immigration regulations and laws and assists students in maintaining legal status and obtaining benefits related to their visa status. Staff members provide advising for academic and personal concerns, cultural adjustment, financial problems, and other concerns that arise.

The staff works with the International Student Association and other student groups, as well as the Missoula International Friendship Program to sponsor cultural activities, a speaker's bureau, a community hospitality program for students, leadership opportunities for students, and the annual International Culture and Food Festival. FSSS coordinates the International Student Peer Assistant Program, a campus peer-mentioning program. It offers educational fields trips; winter and summer break activities, as well as direct and on-going orientation and educational programs on relevant topics to foreign students. FSSS manages the campus' International House, an activity center for inter-cultural events.

Foreign Student and Scholar Services works closely with other service and advising offices on campus to optimize those services and their visibility to foreign students.

Foreign Student and Scholar Services prepares certificates or petitions for the Exchange visitor J-1 visa and advises foreign scholars who need to change or extend their visa status, travel temporarily out of the United States or bring dependents to this country. Finally, the office serves as liaison to federal agencies dealing with foreign student and scholar concerns, such as the Immigration and Naturalization Service, Department of Labor, Department of State, Internal Revenue Service and Social Security Administration.

Office of International Programs

The Office of International Programs administers all campus-wide student, faculty, and staff exchange programs with international institutions and serves as the information and referral center for UM Faculty Directed Study Abroad programs. A wide variety of short and long term overseas study opportunities are available to UM students. The University of Montana-Missoula has direct student exchange agreements with universities in Australia, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, Finland, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Moracco, New Zealand, Taiwan, Thailand and the United Kingdom. The office also administers the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) which provides students with the opportunity to study at one of over 130 universities in 35 countries. Information is available regarding other study abroad programs and financial resources, including the Fulbright program. For additional information, contact the office of International Programs, International Center, call (406) 243-2288, e-mail, or visit their website at

English Language Programs

English Language Programs are intensive, stand-alone summer and academic year English language and teacher training institutes. The institutes last between 3 and 12 weeks. For the Summer of 2004, ELP expects to host students and teachers from Ajou University, Andong National University, Itakura Junior High School, Kangnung National University, Korea National University of Education, Kumamoto Gakuen University, Meisei University, Pakistan, and Toyo University.

English Language Institute

UM offers two distinct types of academic second language English instruction: EASL courses that are described in the Linguistics Program for matriculated students and intensive (20 hours a week), academic English courses that are taught in the English Language Institute (ELI) for non-matriculated students ( ELI's curriculum addresses the needs of international students whose TOEFL scores are below 500/173 (undergraduates) or 525/196 (graduates) and who want to raise their English proficiency in order to gain admission to a university or college where English is the language of instruction.

The Practical Ethics Center

The Practical Ethics Center was created in 1996 at The University of Montana-Missoula to promote high quality teaching, research and service in applied and professional ethics. The Center has a two-part mission: (1) Promote high quality teaching and research in all areas of practical ethics through projects and programs that assist and enhance faculty research, that provide faculty development, and that introduce students to the field. (2) Promote sophisticated discussions concerning matters of ethics in public life among professionals, leaders and citizens through projects and programs that serve community needs and encourage public dialogue. For more information, call (406) 243-5744, email or visit the website at

Curry Health Center

Aware and respectful of the changing needs of student and campus life, we, the staff of Curry Health Center, enhances the health and learning of students and the greater campus community by:

-Providing affordable, high quality student-centered medical, dental, psychological, and health promotion services

-Assessing the health needs of students, faculty, and staff, and effectiveness of our interventions

-Proactively supporting the health of students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds and cultures

-Actively participating in student learning

-Engaging with the larger campus and community

Curry Health Center is YOUR campus based health care center, with services designed to meet the needs of college students and the campus community.

General Information

Access to Curry Health Center is primarily funded through the Clinical Health fee (see the Expenses section of this catalog). Some options are available on a Fee-For-Service basis, primarily in the Medical Clinic.

To better utilize pre-paid fees, CHC works primarily on an appointment basis. Appointments can be changed or cancelled at any time prior to the visit. If you are unable to make your scheduled time you need to cancel or change your appointment. If this does not occur, you will be charged a "No-Show Fee" .

Medical Services - 406-243-2122

The Medical Clinic offers a variety of services on a 24/7 basis during the autumn and spring semesters. Summer hours and services are limited.

All listed services are subject to the capabilities of Curry Health Center.

1. Follow up, at the student's request, on any significant health problems.

2. Medical care for illnesses or medical conditions, and inpatient facility for acute illness.

3. Twenty-four-hour urgent care during routine school session

4. Inpatient area for overnight care

5. Diagnostic X-rays and laboratory tests at a physician's direction

6. Referrals to specialists, within CHC and the community when indicated.

7. Elective minor surgery by appointment as time and facilities permit.

8. Immunization on a needs basis. Admission immunizations requirements should be completed before arrival on campus.

9. Certification completed for marriage licenses, graduate school applications where appropriate, as a physician determines.

10. Travel planning and immunizations

11. Basic health screening for prevention and risk reduction

12.Women's health care including pap smears and birth control.

13. Wart treatment.

14. Orthotics.

15. STD/HIV ­ testing.

16. Assessment and treatment of minor injuries suffered in motor vehicle accidents.

(Illness/injuries/accidents (i.e., Personal injury, Worker's Compensation, motor vehicle accidents) involving civil litigation should be referred to a full service facility capable of providing more extensive testing and documentation.)

Services Not Provided:

1. Treatment of medical conditions that require specialty or intensive care beyond the scope of the health center facility (see #6 above).

2. Off-campus hospitalization and doctor fees.

3. Allergy diagnostic services. Routine allergy injections are available.

4. Routine eye refractions and pre­scribed corrective lenses.

5. Home care.

6. Disability evaluations or review of past medical conditions for obtaining life insurance.

Counseling and Psychological Services - 243-4711

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides rapid access and brief therapy for UM students. CAPS also serve the needs of students in crisis and facilitate off-campus referral when necessary. All services are confidential. Counseling covers the broad range of personal, academic, relational and social concerns of students. Counseling may help a student solve a personal problem, cope with the transition to university life, enhance family relationships, or improve academic performance. Most services are covered by the Clinical Health Fee payment. There are additional charges for some services including psychiatric consultation, some psychiatric assessments and for prolonged counseling and psychotherapy.

Self Over Substance (S.O.S.) - 243-4711

S.O.S. educates and motivates students to address high-risk behaviors associated with heavy alcohol or other drug use. Services include individual and group counseling, education/intervention programs, and assessment/referral to treatment resources. Some services have modest fees.

Dental - 243-5445

Dental care is provided to students who have paid the Clinical Health Fee. The Dental Clinic's primary focus is on emergent and preventative care. While urgent care is given priority, routine dental care is also provided. Charges for dental services are set at a substantially lower rate than the private sector.

Services Provided (as time permits)

1. Emergency dental care.

2. Fillings, root canals, simple extractions, crown and bridge procedures.

3. Teeth cleaning, periodontal scaling, and oral hygiene instructions.

4. Routine exams and X-rays ('checkups') on a limited basis-one per year.

5. Night guards for TMJ disorders and protection from grinding.

Referrals to specialists or other dentists are provided for students whose dental needs are beyond the scope/capabilities of the clinic, e.g., oral surgery, complex root canals, orthodontics, dentures, etc. Charges incurred at private offices are the student's responsibility.

The Student Insurance plan does not cover dental charges.

Health Enhancement - 243-2809

Health Enhancement researches, plans, implements and evaluates programs, which contribute to the health of both individual students and the campus as a whole. The department's goal is to make positive, healthy behaviors the easy choice for UM students.

Health Enhancement trains and sponsors the student group, Peers Reaching Out (PROs). PROs is a diverse team of students from all academic majors who present positive, empowering, interactive programs about health issues to other students. Topics included are healthy sexuality (birth control options, STD/HIV prevention), positive body image, self-care, drinking safely, stress reduction and sexual violence prevention. Call 243-2809 to find out how to become a PRO.

Health Enhancement Services:

1. Free and anonymous HIV counseling and testing;

2. Social marketing campaigns using innovative materials to promote healthy behavior choices and communicate accurate perceptions to UM students;

3. Resources for students doing speeches, presentations, class projects and residence hall/student group events;

4. Presentations about various college health issues for classes, residence halls, and student groups;

5. Health Enhancement staff and PROs participate in university and community efforts as advocates for policies and programs which promote health.

Student Assault Recovery Services - 24-Hour Crisis - 243-6559 Office - 243-5244

Student Assault Recovery Services offers confidential support and advocacy services to victims of rape, sexual assault, child sexual abuse, relationship violence, sexual harassment, and stalking. Services are also available for friends, partners, and relatives of victims. SARS offers a 24-hour crisis line, 243-6559 and a walk-in Resource Center ­when the University is in session. Trained student Advocates are available 24 hours a day to provide information and advocacy. Other services offered by SARS include support groups, workshops, and training as well as an extensive resource library. There is no charge for SARS services. Professional counseling is available by referral to campus or community resources. SARS is lo­cated in the basement of the Curry Health Center. Enter through the east entrance (corner of Maurice St. and Eddy Ave). SARS walk-in hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, when the University is in session.

Health Services Pharmacy - 243-5171

The Health Services Pharmacy, located in the Curry Health Center building, offers students and their dependents (spouse and children) a complete prescription service at very reasonable rates. The pharmacy is operated by the School of Pharmacy in cooperation with Curry Health Center and is used for training pharmacy students under the supervision of registered pharmacists.

Medical Insurance - 243-2844

Because of your privacy rights and concerns, Curry Health Center will not automatically bill your insurance plan for services received at CHC. If you would like to file an insurance claim for services received at Curry Health Center, you must request this through the Student Insurance Office located in CHC. CHC will assist you in filing insurance claims so that your insurance company will reimburse you directly. Because your insurance company reimburses you directly, you are responsible for paying charges incurred at CHC, not your insurance company.

CHC is not a Medicare/Medicaid provider, nor do we accept direct payments from insurance companies.

Clinical Psychology Center

The Clinical Psychology Center (CPC) is operated by the Department of Psychology as part of the doctoral Clinical Psychology training program. The CPC offers a wide range of psychological services to students and non-students, including individual, couples, child, family and group psychotherapy; personality assessment; intelligence testing; and career interests assessment. All services are confidential and all clients are charged on a sliding fee schedule. The CPC is located at 1444 Mansfield on campus.

Physical Therapy Clinic

The UM Physical Therapy Clinic is open to all UM students for the evaluation and treatment of problems related to injuries, surgeries and pain that limit or affect activities. The clinic is staffed by licensed physical therapists. The clinic is a valuable component of the professional physical therapy program. It provides students in the professional program the opportunity to work with patients under the direct supervision of licensed physical therapists. The clinic is open during the school year, Monday through Friday from 1:00 to 5:00. The clinic is not supported through the Student Health Service fee. Blue Cross and other insurance typically cover physical therapy services minus any deductible or co-payment responsibilities. To make an appointment call 243-4006.

University Center

As the University's student union, the University Center (UC) is the community center for the campus. The most popular gathering place in the UC is the atrium which features a large tropical garden. The UC provides an assortment of services and conveniences to members of the campus community. Services include a post office, UPS counter, box office, hair salon, credit union, ATMs, movie theater, copy and word processing services, bookstore, information desk, game room, meeting rooms, and dining and conference facilities. The UC complements students' academic experience through an extensive variety of cultural, educational, social and recreational programs. These programs include UC Programming, Greek Life, UC MultiCultural Alliance and the Center for Leadership Development. Through these programs, students can become involved in student organizations, plan campus events, or participate in a series of leadership development workshops.

Sports and Recreation

Organized sports and recreational activities are an important part of academic and leisure life at the University.

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University of Montana-Missoula is a Division I member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the nine-member Big Sky Conference. The athletic program consists of 14 varsity teams. The men's program includes competition in basketball, cross country, football (Division I-AA), indoor and outdoor track, and tennis. The women's program offers competition in basketball, cross country, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, volleyball, golf, and soccer. The teams go by the nicknames Griz and Lady Griz. Athletic scholarships are offered in all sports.


The Campus Recreation Department offers a wide variety of services and programs to the students, faculty and staff of The University of Montana-Missoula. A comprehensive intramural sports program provides opportunities for men's, women's, and co-recreational team competition and individual events.

Recreational facilities include gymnasiums, weight rooms, an indoor running track, handball and racquetball courts, tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, an indoor climbing wall, and a golf course. Sports equipment such as balls, bats, gloves, etc. can be checked out for free and other equipment such as volleyball nets, badminton sets, and horseshoes require a cash deposit. The Recreation Center in the University Center offers video games, billiards, and table tennis for student use.

The Outdoor Program offers services to students, faculty, staff and the general public, supplying information, training, and education about outdoor pursuits and sports. Classes are offered on a non-credit basis or for activity credits through the Health and Human Performance Department. The Outdoor Program also organizes outdoor trips.

University Golf Course

The University of Montana-Missoula has a picturesque nine/eighteen hole golf course open to students, faculty and staff, as well as the general public. It is located approximately one-half mile south of the main campus.

The course has a clubhouse restaurant, driving range, putting and chipping green. The pro shop is well-stocked and club and cart rentals are available. Private lessons are offered by appointment with an assortment of rate structures.

Grizzly Pool

The University of Montana Grizzly Pool is a 7-lane, 25-yard indoor pool. Present programs include: fitness swims, recreational swims, classes for all ages (infant to adult), Lifeguarding and WSI classes, pool rentals, Swim Shop, and competitive skills lessons.

Community Services

Bureau of Business and Economic Research

The Bureau of Business and Economic Research is the research and public service branch of the School of Business Administration.

Montana Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit

The Unit investigates basic and applied problems in wildlife ecology and management. Graduate students, majoring in Wildlife Biology or Biological Sciences, conduct much of the research supported through the Unit by USGS-Biological Resources Division, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, and numerous other agencies and groups.

Montana Campus Compact

The Montana Campus Compact (statewide) is a coalition of college and university presidents, chancellors, and deans representing two-and-four year, public, private, religiously affiliated, community, and tribal colleges across Montana. These campus leaders are committed to fostering the values and skills of citizenship in Montana students through active involvement in civic engagement activities.


- Campus Corps (Extracurricular Community Service)

- Community Partners Education Awards



- Raise Your Voice: Student Action for Change

- MTCC Community Service Scholarships

- Montana Athletes in Service

- Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter Partnership Award

For more information regarding MTCC programs and member benefits, please contact the MTCC headquarters office at (406) 243-5177 or browse the MTCC website at For more information regarding The University of Montana MTCC affiliate, contact the Office for Civic Engagement at (406) 243-5128 or see their listing under The Office For Civic Engagement.

The Office for Civic Engagement

The Office for Civic Engagement (OCE) serves as a focal point for the campus community to expand academic, professional, and personal development through volunteer and service learning activities. OCE strives to promote active citizenship and leadership development by incorporating service into the University ethos. The OCE operates as an affiliate of the statewide Montana Campus Compact (MTCC) organization (see separate listing). The OCE is located in Social Science 126, (406) 243-4442 or

OCE Programs:

- Student Volunteer Programs - Throughout the school year, OCE coordinates several community service programs for students to get actively involved in such as America Reads America Counts, Alternative Spring Break, Habitat for Humanity, and Clean Start Missoula.

- AmeriCorps* & AmeriCorps* VISTA national Service Programs - OCE provides students with the opportunity to engage in national service while attending the University.

- American Humanics - This is a degree enhancement certification program for students to achieve skills and abilities in preparation for careers in the nonprofit sector.

American Humanics

The University of Montana is an affiliate of the national American Humanics, Inc. The American Humanics program at UM is designed to be a degree enhancement certification program that complements a student's major. The program provides students with academic and extra-curricular opportunities to gain skills and abilities in preparation for professional careers in the nonprofit sector. All American humanics students acquire knowledge and skills in general nonprofit management, fund-raising principles and practices, board committee development, program planning, and risk management. The American Humanics program is operated by UM's Office for Civic Engagement.

Continuing Education and Summer Programs


Continuing Education is the outreach arm of The University of Montana, and our mission reflects The University of Montana's commitment to provide high quality, innovative outreach programs that serve the lifelong learning needs of the citizens of Montana and beyond. Our primary goal is to provide access to UM's vast array of educational opportunities.

Credit, non-credit, grant-funded, sponsored and self-supporting programs are facilitated through two departments: Educational Outreach and Community and Professional Services. These departments work with academic units and external agencies for program development; write grant and contract proposals for external funding; offer focused training programs that contribute to the economic development of Montana; and use a variety of technologically assisted delivery formats. CE is funded by appropriated, self-support, sponsored and grants/contracts sources.

Continuing Education is located in a bonded facility which provides access to state-of-the-art technology in every room. In addition, we provide conference and event planning, equipment rental, technical support and assistance with catering. For mor information, check out our web site at

Educational Outreach

The Educational Outreach Department is an integral part of the instructional program of The University of Montana, offering credit courses and programs for individuals on- and off- campus through a variety of delivery methods. Educational Outreach is home to the following divisions: Extended Studies; External Degree Programs; UM Online; Summer Semester and Winter Session. For Information, visit our website at

Extended Studies offers academic courses in a variety of subjects throughout Montana and beyond. Educators and other professionals may find workshops to satisfy recertification or professional development requirements or courses to fit individual needs. Select Extended Studies at extended to view course schedules and program offerings.

External Degree Programs administer several UM off-campus programs at various locations around the state including the MBA program, the online MBA Foundation program; Education cohort programs at the Masters level in Educational Leadership, and at the Doctoral level in Educational Leadership. Online degree programs are described below. For more information and locations, select External Degree Programs at

UM Online courses are available to students both on- and off- campus at times and places convenient to the learner. Degree programs and courses are offered in cooperation with academic units, to students locally, throughout Montana, nationally and globally. Online degree programs include Library Media Endorsement Program, the AAS in Surgical Technology, the Masters of Public Administration, and the Masters of Education in Curriculum Studies. For more information and course schedules, select UMOnline at our web site

Summer Semester offers several options for traditional and non-traditional students throughout the summer months. Graduate and undergraduate courses are offered in more than 30 disciplines, along with workshops and seminars. The summer catalog includes complete information about summer semester and may be obtained by writing to the Division Manager, Summer Programs or via e-mail at the website or

Wintersession offers UM students and community members an opportunity to earn 3-6 credits during the 3-week session in January. For more information, view our website at

Community and Professional Services

The mission of the Community and Professional Services Department is to provide comprehensive credit and non-credit training opportunities to a broad spectrum of professional and community groups using a variety of delivery media. The Department is responsible for the development and implementation of programs that are outside the traditional education format and cover professional development, technical support, training, creative solutions, enhanced solutions and communications. Community and Professional Services is home to the following two divisions: Grants and Contracts; and Health and the Environment.

The Grants and Contracts Division is responsible for responding to Requests of Proposals; managing successful sponsored projects; project evaluations; and conducting grand-writing workshops for non-profit groups.

The Health and Environment division is responsible for providing training opportunities to health and human services professionals as well as those working with environmental issues related to natural resources, ecosystem management, fire, water, soil and air. Contact us on the internet at


Computing and Information Services

Computing and Information Services (CIS) offers a variety of services and facilities to support students, faculty and staff who use information technology. These include e-mail, Web, and telecommunications services, Internet access, Banner (CyberBEAR) information systems, student computing labs, Help Desk support, and technology short courses

CIS provides a high-speed network that links several thousand computers in offices, labs, classrooms, and residence halls across the three UM-Missoula campuses, and provides high-speed Internet access to users in these locations.

CIS-managed, student computing labs provide about 200 general access computers (PC's and Macs) in several locations. Available software includes a variety of tools for Internet browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, database management, Web development, presentation graphics, and statistical analysis.

CIS offers a selection of free, non-credit, short courses, Help Desk support (visit LA 139 or call 243-help), other consulting services, and numerous free documents to help users become more proficient with information technology.

The CIS main office is located in Liberal Arts room 144 and can be reached at 243-5455. CIS is part of the University's Information Technology Office (ITO). ITO offices are located in the lower level of Davidson Honors College.

Montana Forest and Conservation Experiment Station

The Montana Forest and Conservation Experiment Station was established by the Montana Legislature in 1937 as a non-profit organization devoted to scientific investigation of natural resource problems. The station serves as the research unit of The University of Monta­na School of Forestry with the dean functioning as station director. The station seeks, through its research and publications, to enhance public understanding of forestry and conservation and contribute to responsible management of our nation's natural re­sources.

The Shafizadeh Rocky Mountain Center for Wood and Carbohydrate Chemistry

The Center is a research facility specializing in development of new chemical products from carbohydrates (monosaccharides to polysaccharide) found in grains and wood. Targeted applications include consumer products and environmentally safe industrial products such as biodegradable synthetic polymers, pharmaceutical components, and materials for industrial processing.

Stella Duncan Memorial Research Institute

The Institute was created initially by a bequest from an alumna of the University; the funds were designated originally for research on the cause and treatment of bronchial asthma. Current work focuses on the mechanisms by which transcription can enhance DNA secondary structures and mutations similar to those found in some cancers and during the immune response.

Institute for Tourism and Recreation Research

The Institute was created by the Montana University System Board of Regents in June 1987 to conduct the travel research authorized by the 1987 Legislature. The Institute is the research arm for Montana's travel and recreation industry; its mission is to conduct research that will strengthen the travel component of the state's economy.

Wilderness Institute

The Institute seeks to encourage and support teaching, research and outreach programs focusing on wilderness. The Institute administers the Wilderness and Civilization program of interdisciplinary undergraduate education, a program leading to the Wilderness Studies minor (see the School of Forestry).

Student Rights

Public Safety Report and Alcohol and Drug Guidelines

The health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors are of paramount concern to The University of Montana. Each year the University publishes an annual report outlining on-campus security and safety information and crime statistics. The report provides important information for security awareness and crime prevention programs, emergency procedures and reporting crimes, plus law enforcement and safety services on campus.

Additionally, the booklet contains the University's policy on sexual assault and information about support services for victims of sexual assault. The booklet also includes information about the University's drug and alcohol policy, programs and support services for substance abuse, and risk management guidelines for University-related events.

The booklet is available by writing or calling the Office of Public Safety (406) 342-6131 or the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (406) 243-5225, The University of Montana, Missoula, Missou­la, MT 59812. The information can also be accessed on the web at and

Student Complaint Procedures

Under the terms of the faculty administration contract at The University of Montana, there is a formal procedure for students who have a complaint against a faculty member or an administrator. The handbook for resolving complaints against faculty and administration is available from the ASUM office and outlines the steps to be taken to pursue grievances. The ASUM Student Resolution Officer is available to answer questions about procedures and to serve student concerns. Time restrictions are important in the process so students should review procedures immediately if they feel they may have a complaint.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment)

Consistent with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and University policy, every person who is or has been a student at this University, and the parents of students under 18 who are not taking postsecondary courses, have the following rights:

1. Upon completion of the appropriate request form and submission thereof to the person responsible for the custody and maintenance of the records, a student has the right to inspect and review within 45 days from the date of initial request that portion of any official record which directly relates to the requesting student and to have a copy thereof upon payment of the cost of the copy. An "official record" is any record intended to be used for "school use" or to be available to parties outside the school or school system, specifically including but not necessarily limited to identifying data, academic work completed, level of achievement (grades, standardized achievement test scores), attendance data, scores on standardized intelligence, aptitude, and psychological tests, interest inventory results, health data, family background information, teacher or counselor ratings and observations, and verified reports of serious or recurrent behavior patterns.

The right of inspection and review shall not extend to psychiatric, medical, or counseling records which are intended for personal diagnostic or treatment purposes only. Neither does the right extend retroactively to items of record previously obtained with assurances that confidentiality would be maintained.

With regard to such confidential items, the student has the option of either waiving the right of inspection and review and having those items retained as a part of the record, or of requesting that such confidential items be removed from the student's record and returned to the source or destroyed.

2. The right to a hearing before the Student Court to delete any portion of any record which is inaccurate, misleading or inappropriate. Discrepancies should first be brought to the attention of those responsible for maintaining the records so they may have an opportunity to cure any defects. To the extent defects are not cured, upon request a hearing may be initiated by a written request from the student delivered to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The matter before the Student Court will be the question of the accuracy or appropriateness of the record itself and will not be extended to questions of the judgment of those who contributed to the record. The court will consider (1) whether the record accurately reflects matters intended to be contained here. (2) whether the record is misleading because in its present form it would lead a reasonable person to an incorrect conclusion, or (3) whether matters within the record are inappropriate because the record does not usually or should not reasonably contain such matters as those in question. Upon appropriate determination of the court, any such matters may be ordered deleted from the record.

3. The right to have education records or personally identifiable information from education records kept confidential and not released to third parties without the written consent of the student, except for release to the following:
a. University personnel for legitimate purposes and to the extend required in the ordinary course of the performance of their duties. For disclosure purposes, University personnel shall include appropriate University of Montana Foundation, Alumni Association, and Grizzly Athletic Association personnel; and legitimate purposes shall include those relating to planning, execution, and evaluation of academic, administrative, employment, and/or financial programs of the University.
b. Authorized representatives of (a) the Comptroller General of the United States, (b) the Secretary, (c) an administrative head of an education agency, or (d) state educational authorities having access to student or other records which may be necessary in connection with the audit and evaluation of federally supported education programs, or in connection with the enforcement of the federal legal requirements which relate to such programs. Provided, that, except when collection of personally identifiable data is specifically authorized by federal law any data collected by such officials with respect to individual students shall not include information (including Social Security numbers) which would permit the personal identification of such students and their parents after the data so obtained has been collected.
c. In compliance with judicial order or any lawfully issued subpoena upon condition that the student is notified of compliance.
d. In connection with a student's application for or receipt of financial aid.
e. The University of Montana may forward educational records to other institutions for students intending to transfer.

4. The right to refuse to permit the designation of any or all categories of personally identifiable information as "directory information" which is not subject to the above restrictions. The University of Montana has defined the following as directory information: student's name, addresses including e-mail, telephone number, date of birth, dates of attendance, full time/part time status, date of graduation and degree received, school or college, majors, class, student identification photo, and academic awards or honors.

Any student wishing to exercise this right must inform the University Registrar in writing within two weeks after the start of classes of any personally identifiable information which is not to be designated as directory information with respect to that student in that academic year.

5. The right to have available for inspection by the student a written form signed by any representative of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Secretary, or any administrative head of an education agency who requested and was granted access to the records which states the legitimate educational or other interest that each such person had in requesting access to that particular record.

6. The right to have personal student records transferred to third parties only on condition that such parties will not permit any other party to have access to such information without the written consent of the student. All student records transferred to third parties shall have printed or stamped thereon: "No other person may have access to this information without written consent of the student."

Equal Opportunity

The University of Montana is committed to a program of equal opportunity for education, employment and participation in University activities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religious creed, political ideas, marital or family status, physical or mental disability, national origin or ancestry, or sexual orientation.

Statement Of Law

Equal opportunity laws and orders applicable to The University of Montana­ include, but are not limited to, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, Executive Order 11246, Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988, Montana Fair Practices Act of 1974, The Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Montana Nondiscrimination by State and Local Government Act of 1975.

It is illegal in the State of Montana to discriminate against anyone because of race, religion, color, political ideas, age, marital status, sex, mental or physical disability, national origin or ancestry in employment, training, public accommodations, financing, education and government services. With the exception of marital status, this also applies to housing.

Discrimination Grievance Procedure

The University of Montana has established a discrimination grievance procedure for employees, students, and applicants for employment or admission who claim to have been unlawfully discriminated against because of any University regulation, policy, practice or the official action of any University employee.

The University is prohibited from retaliating against an individual who has made charges, testified, assisted or participated in any way in any proceeding, investigation or hearing in regard to the violations or alleged violations of laws or orders requiring equal educational and/or employment opportunity.

Persons believing they have been discriminated against should contact:

Nancy Borgmann, Director, Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
University Hall 020, The University of Montana
(406) 243-5710


Montana Human Rights Division
PO Box 1728
Helena, MT 59624-1728
(406) 449-2884

Complaints must be filed within 60 days of the alleged discrimination if filing with the University Discrimination Grievance Officer and within 180 days if filing with the Montana Human Rights.



Home | Index | Calendar

Copyright© Spectral Fusion, 2003. All Rights Reserved.