University of Montana 1999-2000 Catalog
Financial Aid

Financial aid services are available from two campus locations depending upon status of admission. Students admitted to the College of Technology (COT) should apply at the South Avenue location. All other students, including graduate students, should use the office located in Room 218 of the Lodge Building.

COT students only: All other students:
Financial Aid Office

909 South Avenue West

Missoula, MT 59801

(406) 243-7886


Financial Aid Office

Lodge 218

Missoula, MT 59812-1254

(406) 243-5373


Both offices are fully accessible.

Notice: Any policy is subject to change without advance notice if required by federal or state law, Board of Regents, or Financial Aid Office.

Acceptance to UM

Students must be accepted for admission (or readmission) to the University in a degree program before financial aid requests are considered.

Presidential Leadership Scholarships

This award is open to incoming freshmen who have demonstrated high academic achievements, leadership and promise for success in their high school experiences. The award is renewable for four years based on meeting eligibility requirements. Further information is available in the application. The application is in the Viewbook and is also available from the Financial Aid Office, the Davidson Honors College, and high school counselors in Montana. The application can also be found on the World Wide Web @

Campus-Wide Scholarships

The University offers a campus-wide scholarship program. Students must apply each year as most scholarships are awarded on an annual basis.

Requests for applications may be directed to Admissions & New Student Services, the Financial Aid Office, or high school counselors in Montana. The application can also be found on the World Wide Web @ The filing deadline is February 1. Students are notified in April.

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) scholarship may be available for applicants from participating states. Contact Admissions and New Student Services for further information.

Departmental Scholarships

Many departments, including the College of Technology, offer scholarships based on skill or academic potential. Students should contact the major department for deadlines and more information.

Financial Aid Application

All students who wish to receive any federal funds, including need based or most non-need-based assistance, must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students who apply early (usually before March 1), and who complete all other documentation requirements are given priority for limited funds. Those who complete requirements later are considered only for federal loan programs and federal Pell Grants.

Determination of Eligibility

Eligibility is determined by subtracting the Expected Family Contribution (as determined from filing the FAFSA), scholarships, and other educational assistance from private or public agencies from the Cost of Education.

Financial Aid Package

Packages of need-based aid can include a combination of grants, loans and workstudy. A student using the FAFSA automatically applies for all possibilities with one application. The types of aid offered will include federal subsidized and unsubsidized student loans for graduate or undergraduate students and federal Pell Grants for undergraduates if qualified. For those who file in the first three months of each calendar year and complete all requirements for additional documentation promptly, additional campus aid will be considered. This aid includes federal and state grants for undergraduate students. Federal Perkins loans and either federal or state work study will be considered for all early filers for both degree-seeking undergraduates and graduate students.

Non-need based aid, in the form of unsubsidized federal loans, will be considered for those families who file the FAFSA and request these loans.

Distribution of Aid

All financial aid is awarded in the Financial Aid Office and distributed through Business Services, usually by crediting aid to the student's account. Aid is released after a student has accepted the award offer, but not before the first day of classes each semester. Students who are offered work study must obtain employment and complete additional paperwork at the Financial Aid Office. Students are paid monthly based on the timecard submitted by the student and the supervisor.

Additional Requirements for Loans

Any student who receives a student loan at The University of Montana must attend an entrance interview session before a loan will be disbursed. Times and dates are published in Financial Aid at the beginning of each semester. Graduating students will be required to attend an exit interview prior to disbursement of any loans in their last scheduled semester of enrollment.

Study Abroad and Financial Aid

Students who desire to study abroad and who enroll in courses that are approved by The University of Montana should contact the Financial Aid Office. Instructions will be provided for using financial aid with this type of study.

Other Requirements and Guidelines for Retaining Financial Aid

Financial aid is based on maintaining a minimum of twelve (12) credits each term for undergraduates and nine (9) credits for graduate students.

Part-time students with six (6) or more credits will be considered for reduced financial aid packages. Pell recipients receive 75% of the full Pell amount if enrolled for 9-11 credits, and 50% of the award if enrolled for 6-8 credits for the semester. Other aid may be reduced or eliminated.

Students enrolling for fewer than six credits are not considered for financial aid with one exception. Undergraduates who are seeking their first degree may be eligible for a reduced federal Pell Grant.


The Financial Aid Office coordinates all subsidized federal and state work study programs. Open positions are posted on the first floor of the Lodge and at the Information Desk in the University Center.

Regular student employment positions are available through Human Resource Services and are posted on the same displays as the work study positions.

Satisfactory Progress

Any student receiving financial aid is required to make satisfactory progress in a program leading to a degree. Complete information is available in the Financial Aid Office.

Short Term Loans

Limited short term loan money is available to registered students who are eligible and submit complete applications.

Reduced Fees

Fee Waivers

The Montana Board of Regents has authorized the waiver of registration and incidental fees for certain categories of students. Applications for any of the fee waivers listed below must be made in writing each year to the Financial Aid Office. The request must be made prior to the start of the semester in which the student expects the waiver.

Minimum academic standards are necessary to receive fee waivers. Other requirements and limitations may apply. Contact the Financial Aid Office for application forms or more information.

Montana Veterans Fee Waiver

- bonafide resident of the State of Montana for fee purposes

- Honorable Discharge

- at one time qualified for veterans benefits under Title 38 of the U.S. Code, but are no longer eligible

- served during a time of war as determined by the Attorney General (World War II, 12-7-41 to 9-2-45; Korean War, 6-22-50 to 1-31-55; Vietnam War, 1-1-64 to 5-7-75; or post-Vietnam world conflicts under certain conditions. Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.)

Native American Fee Waivers

- resident of the State of Montana for one year immediately prior to enrollment at The University of Montana-Missoula

- documentation proving at least one-quarter degree blood

- meet admissions guidelines of the University

- must have financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office

- meet satisfactory academic progress according to the standards of the Financial Aid Office

Senior Citizens Fee Waiver

- permanent resident of the State of Montana

- 62 years of age or older

University of Montana Employees

- employed at least three-quarter time on the date of registration and for the entire semester

- approval from department head

High School Honors

- awarded by Board of Regents to top graduating seniors in Montana

- student must submit form to the Montana unit they plan to attend


There are several other fee waivers including war orphans, dependents of prisoners of war, and surviving spouse or children of any Montana firefighter or peace officer killed in the line of duty. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

Department of Military Science

Students enrolled in advanced ROTC courses are paid a tax-free subsistence of $150.00 per school month ($1,500/year maximum). Two-, three-, and four-year scholarships (full tuition, fees, a $450 per year allowance for books, the $150.00 per month subsistence, and a $1000.00 per year room and board offset) are available to a number of qualified high school seniors and college freshmen and sophomores. For more details see the Military Science Department, College of Arts and Sciences.

University of Montana 1998 -1999 Catalog
The University of Montana - Missoula
1999-2000 Catalog | All Catalogs On-Line