University of Montana 1999-2000 Catalog 1999-2000 Catalog


Housing and Dining Services

Residence Halls Community

The University of Montana-Missoula residence halls' community is very much a part of the total University and Missoula communities. The campus is a center for educational, cultural, and social activities. Residing in residence halls places the student at the center of these activities. Our mission is creating an atmosphere that is safe, provides for individual growth, and promotes academic exploration and learning. The University houses nearly 2300 students in nine residence halls on campus. The residence halls staff are resource people. Sharing ideas, observations or questions with them will benefit residents. Resident Assistants offer help when students experience problems with University life.

The University of Montana-Missoula requires all freshmen and students who have earned fewer than 30 semester credits to reside in the University's residence halls. Students are required to continue residence hall living until the student earns 30 semester credits. Any student who moves into the residence halls at the beginning of the semester is required to reside in the residence hall for the entire semester. (However, students usually must be enrolled for at least seven credits to be eligible to live in a residence hall.) Exceptions to residence hall living are made for students who reside with their parents and for students who are married or are single parents. Other exceptions are made under special circumstances on an individual basis. Any student requesting an exception to the residency requirements must submit a request in writing, accompanied by supporting documentation, to the Director of Residence Life. Students are not released from the residency requirements until the student receives an official notification from the Director of Residence Life. Students who have earned 30 semester credits or more are not subject to the residency requirements but are encouraged to live on campus. All students living in the residence halls are required to contract for one of the on-campus meal plans.

Rooms in residence halls are provided in order of application. Freshman students required to live in Residence Halls who submit their residence hall application and $100.00 prepayment by the priority Admission deadline of March 1, will be guaranteed permanent housing assignments. Application forms and information may be obtained by writing the Residence Life Office.

A number of rooms have been designed to accommodate students with disabilities. Application for these rooms is made to the Residence Life Office. The Director of Residence Life or the Office of Disability Services for Students, (406) 243-2243, should be contacted to ensure the necessary accommodations are provided.

Dining Services

The University of Montana Dining Services provides students with a variety of quality food choices, excellent service, convenience, and reasonable prices..

Students have several dining options on The University of Montana campus. The Lodge, located in the center of the on-campus housing corridor, features the Treasure State Dining Room, Cascade Country Store, and Mama Zoola's Pizzeria. The University Center, on the east side of campus next to the Mansfield Library, is home to the UC Food Court and the Black Soup Bistro. Both are located on the second floor. The Java Bus is situated at the west end of the Social Sciences Building, and the Gallagher Building has a coffee cart as well.

The Treasure State Dining Room serves nutritious, buffet-style meals with unlimited seconds. Continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served Monday through Friday. Brunch and dinner are served on weekends and most holidays. The menu includes an ever-changing choice of two entrees, homemade soups, an extensive salad bar, fresh fruits, fresh baked desserts, traditional fast food favorites, and vegetarian selections. Cash and bear bucks can be used in all dining facilities.

The Cascade Country Store offers Asian and Mexican food, soups, salads, deli sandwiches, gourmet ice cream and frozen yogurt, grilled specialties, an assortment of beverages, a retail bakery, and a wide variety of grocery items. The Country Store boasts a bright, open dining area and an expansive outside deck.

Mama Zoola's Pizzeria produces an array of fresh baked pizzas, calzones, pasta, and bread sticks. Also offered are breakfast items including breakfast burritos, egg muffins, biscuits and gravy, bakery items, as well as Starbucks coffees and espresso.

The UC Food Court provides exceptional cuisine and a contemporary, open atmosphere. Food choices include The Grizzly Grille, Pizza Hut, Taco Time, Junga Juice, The Bear Claw Bakery, Garden City Greens, Soups & Such and Healthy Choice Eastside Deli, and more.

The Black Soup Bistro offers a contemporary menu, espresso bar, and a coffeehouse atmosphere. The name "black soup" comes from the direct translation of 'mo kohtave-hohpe', which is the Cheyenne word for coffee.

The Java Bus serves coffee, espresso, and bagels.

Meal Plans

All students living in a residence hall must purchase a meal plan. UM Dining Services offers three different meal plans: the Grizzly, the Silver and the Maroon. Each plan provides a weekly meal fund balance from which meal purchases are deducted. This weekly format ensures that the meal plan will last an entire semester. The weekly meal fund balance is reset every Sunday morning; unused weekly meal fund balances are not carried forward from one week to the next.

All meal plan funds can be used in The Lodge Treasure State Dining Room and to make a la carte purchases in the Cascade Country Store and Mama Zoola's Pizzaria. The Grizzly meal plan provides campus-wide dining flexibility, wich includes the UC Food Court, The Black Soup Bistro, and the Java Bus.

Each meal plan includes a $20 Bear Bucks account which can be used to make purchases at University Dining Services facilities. The cash price is always paid when using Bear Bucks. Cash can be used at all dining facilities on campus.

The only method of accessing meal plan funds is through the University I.D. card, the GrizCard. A student may change the meal plan once during the first two weeks of the semester. If the student moves out of the residence hall, a prorated refund will be issued. No refunds will be issued for the last two weeks of the semester. Bear Bucks

Bear Bucks off convenient, cashless purchasing power at all University Dining Services locations. This declining-balance account is easy to use and eliminates the burden of always having cash. You may add to your Bear Bucks account anytime throughout the year. Balances will carry forward from one semester to the next. Bonus Bear Bucks are additional Bear Bucks added to accounts of $100 or more.

For information on meal plans and other special dining services, please contact the University Dining Services office at 406/243-6325 or TDD/TEXED 406/243-2243.

University Village

The University has 566 apartments for married students, single students with dependents, graduate students, upper class single students and students with disabilities who have a live-in care attendant. All apartments are within walking distance of the campus. Units range from studio to four-bedroom apartments.

Eligibility for University Village requires at least one adult member of the household be enrolled for a minimum of seven (7) credits two of the three semesters per year. The student must be registered for at least seven (7) credits the first semester of occupancy. Priority is given to students who are married or otherwise have a legal dependent relationship with another adult; single parents with at least one (1) legal dependent living in the apartment; and single students with disabilities who require a live-in care attendant. Single students may be assigned apartments if other priority applicants do not occupy all available units.

Students residing in University Village must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward an educational degree by earning a minimum sixteen (16) credits per calendar year. After the initial year of residency, satisfactory progress is based upon credits earned during the preceding calendar year. In addition, a student or family with one or more members working toward an educational degree will have priority occupancy for a maximum of six (6) calendar years. Any exception from the above residency policies requires a written request for exception submitted to the University Village Office. The request is not approved until written consent is received from the University Village Office.

Housing is assigned according to the date of application and notification is given approximately twenty (20) days before housing becomes available. All applications must be updated every six (6) months in order for applicants to remain on the assignment list. A $250.00 deposit must be submitted when an apartment is assigned. The deposit is refundable when the rental agreement is terminated provided the apartment rental fees are current and no damage or cleaning fees are assessed. The deposit is forfeited if the student cancels after accepting the assigned apartment.

Due to the demand for University Village housing, the University Village Housing Office should be contacted early to make reservations and obtain detailed information.

Personal Property

The University of Montana-Missoula is not responsible, by state law, for damage to, or theft of, the personal property of students on campus (for example: damage to clothing or a stereo due to fire, smoke or water). Students are encouraged to adequately insure their personal property and to protect their property by locking their room/apartment and car and taking other simple precautions to prevent theft and damage.

Career Services

The Office of Career Services assists students in developing viable career objectives and the plans necessary to achieve those goals. Assistance is also provided to students and UM alumni who wish to modify their career goals and improve their employment options. Career Services provides a wide array of services designed to facilitate the transition from education to employment, including: career counseling and assessments; workshops on such topics as resume writing, interviewing and job search strategies; videotaped mock interviews; on-campus interviews with employers; credential files services for teachers; and alumni referral network program and a job vacancy newsletter service.

Career Services maintains an extensive library of current resources on general and specific career options, resume, interviewing and job search reference materials and employment resources from companies, school districts and government entities. The library also maintains listings of current job vacancies from around the country.

Two major career fairs are hosted each year for the purpose of bringing students and employers together to discuss volunteer, internship, part-time and full-time employment opportunities. The Big Sky Career Fair is open to all students and is held in the autumn semester. The Educators' Career Fair is open to teaching, administrative and school counseling professionals and is held in the spring semester.

For additional information, contact the Office of Career Service at 148 Lodge, call (406) 243-2022, e-mail: or visit our web site at:

Disability Services for Students

Students with disabilities can expect access at The University of Montana-Missoula. Wherever possible, the University exceeds mere compliance with the civil rights laws of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Montana Human Rights Act. The University's programs are readily accessible to and usable by people with disabilities. Program access is delivered to the maximum extent feasible and in the most integrated manner. Disability Services for Students (DSS), a student affairs department, leads the University's program access efforts. DSS provides and coordinates reasonable accommodations as well as advocating for an accessible and hospitable learning environment. Examples of DSS services include priority registration, physical accessibility arrangements, academic adjustment, auxiliary aids (readers, scribes, sign language interpreters, etc.), alternative testing, textbook taping and computerizing, assistance technology training, and other reasonable accommodations. In the spirit of equal access, DSS vigorously pursues the removal of informational, physical, and attitudinal barriers to access at the University. "Expect Access", the DSS handbook for students, and a campus accessibility map are available upon request. Students with disabilities are encouraged to plan ahead and contact DSS prior to arriving on campus. For additional information, contact DSS Director Jim Marks at Corbin Hall, 032 or (406) 243-2243 (Voice/Text).

Web site:\dss\home.htm

Foreign Student and Scholar Services

Foreign Student and Scholar Services provides for the general welfare of foreign students by assisting in their reception and orientation, and helping them with housing, integration into the University and community, cultural adjustment, interpretation of immigration regulations and federal laws, and other individual problems that may arise. Other important services include pre-arrival and arrival assistance, personal advising, financial assistance, community services and information, and supervision of the International House. The office also prepares certificates or petitions for exchange visitors on J-1 visas and serves as liaison to federal agencies.

Office of International Programs

The Office of International Programs administers all campus-wide student, faculty, and staff exchange programs with international institutions and serves as the information and referral center for UM Group Study Abroad programs. A wide variety of short and long term overseas study opportunities are available to UM students. The University of Montana has direct student exchange agreements with universities in Canada, China, Denmark, Japan, New Zealand, Chile and Wales. The office administers the International Student Exchange Program which provides students with the opportunity to study at one of over 100 universities in 38 countries. Information is available regarding other study abroad programs and financial resources, including the Fulbright program.

The Practical Ethics Center

The Practical Ethics Center was created in 1996 at The University of Montana-Missoula to promote high quality teaching, research and service in applied and professional ethics. The Center has a two-part mission: (1) Promote high quality teaching and research in all areas of applied and professional ethics through projects and programs that assist and enhance faculty research, that provide faculty development, and that introduce students to the field. (2) Promote sophisticated discussions concerning matters of ethics in public life among professionals, leaders and citizens through projects and programs that serve community needs and encourage public dialogue.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services provides medical, dental, counseling, and health education to the students of the University who pay the health service fee. The Health Fee is mandatory for students enrolled for 7 or more credits and is automatically charged on the schedule bill. Under certain circumstances, students taking less than 7 credits who do not pay the Health Fee may receive services on a fee-for-service basis (See individual departmental listing for more information). More detailed information is available from Student Health Services.

Student Health Services is closed for clinical services that occur between semesters, during vacation periods and before the school year.

There are fees for some services and supplies. Student Health Services assumes no responsibility for costs incurred by a student who is referred by Student Health Services to another service or provider.

Students who were enrolled during the term preceding Intersession or Summer sessions may utilize SHS during Intersession or Summer on a fee-for-service basis.

Student-spouse services - Contact Student Health Services for more information about options available to spouses of registered students.

Medical Services Phone 406-243-2122

Most services will be available to students enrolled for less than 7 credits who do not pay the Health Fee on a fee-for-service basis.

All listed services are subject to the capabilities of the health service.

1. Follow up, at the student's request, on any significant health problems.

2. Medical care for illnesses or medical conditions, and inpatient facility for acute illness.

3. Diagnostic X-rays and laboratory tests at a physician's direction.

4. Twenty-four-hour urgent care during routine school sessions.

5. Referrals to specialists, when necessary, or for medical problems, if indicated.

6. Elective minor surgery by appointment as time and facilities permit.

7. Immunization on a cost basis. Admission immunizations requirements should be completed before arrival on campus.

8. Certification completed for marriage licenses, graduate school applications where appropriate, as a physician determines.

9. Vision screening for referral.

10. Women's health care including pap smears and birth control.

11. Wart treatment.

12. Orthotics.

13. HIV counseling and confidential/anonymous testing.

14. Assessment and treatment or referrals of minor injuries suffered in motor vehicle accidents. Illness/injuries/accidents (i.e., Personal injury, Workman's Compensation, motor vehicle accidents) involving civil litigation should be referred to a full service facility capable of providing more extensive testing and documentation.

A spouse of a student may utilize Student Health Services upon paying the Health Fee. Contact Student Health Services for more information about this option.

Services Not Provided:

1. Treatment of medical conditions that require specialty or intensive care beyond the scope of the health service facility.

2. Injuries that are covered by industrial accident insurance.

3. Off-campus hospitalization and doctor fees.

4. Allergy diagnostic services. Routine allergy injections are available.

5. Routine eye refractions and prescribed corrective lenses.

6. Home care.

7. Insurance and third party billing. Information to submit to insurance carriers will be provided with the service billing.

8. Disability evaluations or review of past medical conditions for obtaining life insurance.

Counseling and Psychological Services - Phone 243-4711

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides rapid access and brief therapy for UM students. CAPS also serves the needs of students in crisis and facilitates off-campus referral when necessary. All services are confidential. Counseling covers the broad range of personal, academic, relational and social concerns of students. Counseling may help a student solve a personal problem, cope with the transition to university life, enhance family relationships, or improve academic performance. Most services are covered by the Student Health Services fee payment. Most services will be available to students enrolled for less than 7 credits who do not pay the Health Fee on a fee-for-service basis. There are additional charges for some services including psychiatric consultation, some psychiatric assessments and for prolonged counseling and psychotherapy.

Self Over Substance (S.O.S.) Phone 243-4711

S.O.S. provides professional assessment and referral by a certified chemical dependency counselor. Individual counseling, education and support groups are also offered to those affected by substance abuse. A trained group of students provides peer counseling, facilitates groups, and offers a "buddy system" for those substance abusers needing a support system. Students referred for mandatory classes because of alcohol or other substance related Student Conduct Code violations will be charged a fee for those classes.

Dental - Phone 243-5445

Dental care is provided, at a substantially discounted rate, to students who have paid the Health Fee. Dental care is provided to students who have not paid the Health Fee on a fee-for-service basis that is higher than that charged Health Fee paying students, but is still discounted from private dental rates. There is a charge for when a student misses an appointment or fails to cancel the appointment without at least 24 hours notice Dental work not completed at the clinic is referred to a private dentist. Charges incurred at private offices are the student's responsibility.

Services Provided (as time permits)

1. Emergency dental care.

2. Exams and X-rays on a limited basis.

3. Teeth cleaning and oral hygiene training.

4. Splints and night guards for TMJ disorders and protection from grinding.

5. Fillings, root canals, extractions, crowns as time permits.

Health Education -Phone 243-2809

The health education program provides a variety of classes, information and presentations to help students maintain safe, healthy lifestyles. Programs include weight management, cholesterol education, HIV testing and counseling, and smoking cessation. Peer educators (PROs) offer educational programming on sexual assault awareness, drug and alcohol abuse prevention, and a wide range of wellness topics.

Student Assault Recovery Services - Phone 243-6559

Student Assault Recovery Services, a program of Student Health Services, offers confidential support, advocacy, and therapeutic services to victims of rape, sexual assault, child sexual abuse, relationship violence, sexual harassment, and stalking. Most services in SARS are fee, however, there is a charge for professional counseling when this service is of long duration. Services are also available for friends, partners, and relatives of victims. SARS offers a 24-hour crisis line and a walk-in Resource Center throughout the academic year. Advocates are available 24 hours a day to provide information and advocacy. Other services offered by SARS include support groups, workshops, training, a resource library, and professional counseling. SARS is located in the basement of the Student Health Services building. Enter through the SARS entrance (corner of Maurice St. and Eddy Ave.). SARS walk-in hours are 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Health Services Pharmacy - Phone 243-5171

The Health Services Pharmacy, located in the Student Health Services building, offers students and their dependents (spouse and children) a complete prescription service at very reasonable rates. The pharmacy is operated by the School of Pharmacy in cooperation with Student Health Services and is used for training pharmacy students under the supervision of registered pharmacists.

Medical Insurance

(see listing under Expenses)

All students are required to have medical insurance while attending the university. Students enrolled for 7 or more credits for either Fall or Spring terms will automatically be charged for the student insurance plan on their schedule bill. Students have until the 15th class day EACH term to waive this student insurance coverage. No waivers can be excepted after the 15th class day.

The student insurance plan is offered to all students taking a minimum of four credits for a traditional grade. The following requirements apply:

1. The phone registration process allows students each semester to waive or enroll in the insurance. This option is available the first three weeks of each semester. Students may also enroll in or waive the insurance by completing and signing specific forms. A Medical Insurance Waiver Form and Re-enrollment Form are available from, and must be returned to, Griz Central in the Lodge or the Student Insurance office located in room 116 of Student Health Services.

2. Students are advised to carefully review their schedule bill to verify whether the student insurance premium is correctly waived or included on the bill.

3. Students who do not meet the minimum number of credit hours to qualify for the student insurance by the 15th class day are automatically dropped from the plan and the premium amount is credited to the student's account. Under limited circumstances, students can petition to remain on the insurance plan. Students should contact the Student Insurance Office at 406-243-2844 for more information.

4. Students enrolled in the insurance must also pay the Student Health Services Fee. These programs compliment each other and have helped to contain insurance premium increases. Note: Students taking seven or more credits are required to pay the Student Health Service Fee.

5. International students are required to maintain adequate insurance while attending the university, regardless of the number of credits taken. Written proof of comparable coverage, in English, must be provided to the Student Insurance Office in order to waive the university plan. Since insurance is not offered on a public, government-sponsored basis, adequate insurance is vital in covering the highly technical and expensive health care available in the United States.

The university student insurance plan is specifically designed to cover the cost of those services not available on campus at Student Health Services. Such services include hospitalizations, therapy, emergency room, ambulance, etc. Students interested in more information on the plan such as deductibles, eligibility, dependent coverage, benefits, and claim filing should contact the Student Insurance Office.

Clinical Psychology Center

The Clinical Psychology Center (CPC) is operated by the Department of Psychology as part of the doctoral Clinical Psychology training program. The CPC offers a wide range of psychological services to students and non-students, including individual, couples, child, family and group psychotherapy; personality assessment; intelligence testing; and career interests assessment. All services are confidential and all clients are charged on a sliding fee schedule. The CPC is located at 1444 Mansfield on campus.

Physical Therapy Clinic

The UM Physical Therapy Clinic is open to all UM students for the evaluation and treatment of problems related to injuries, surgeries and pain that limit or affect activities. The clinic is staffed by licensed physical therapists. The clinic is a valuable component of the professional physical therapy program. It provides students in the professional program the opportunity to work with patients under the direct supervision of licensed physical therapists. The clinic is open during the school year, Monday through Friday from 1:00 to 5:00. The clinic is not supported through the Student Health Service fee. Blue Cross and other insurance typically cover physical therapy services minus any deductible or co-payment responsibilities. To make an appointment call 243-4006.

University Center

As the University's student union, the University Center (UC) is the community center for the campus. The most popular gathering place in the UC is the atrium which features a large tropical garden. The UC provides an assortment of services and conveniences to members of the campus community. Services include a post office, UPS counter, box office, travel agency, hair salon, credit union, ATMs, flower shop, copy and word processing services, bookstore, information desk, game room, meeting rooms, and dining and conference facilities. The UC complements students' academic experience through an extensive variety of cultural, educational, social and recreational programs. These programs include UC Programming, the Office of Student Involvement, and the Center for Leadership Development. Through these programs, students can become involved in student organizations, plan campus events, or participate in a series of leadership development workshops.

Sports and Recreation

Organized sports and recreational activities are an important part of academic and leisure life at the University.

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University of Montana-Missoula is a Division I member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the nine-member Big Sky Conference. The athletic program consists of 14 varsity teams. The men's program includes competition in basketball, cross country, football (Division I-AA), indoor and outdoor track, and tennis. The women's program offers competition in basketball, cross country, tennis, indoor and outdoor track, volleyball, golf, and soccer. The teams go by the nicknames Griz and Lady Griz. Athletic scholarships are offered in all sports.


The Campus Recreation Department offers a wide variety of services and programs to the students, faculty and staff of The University of Montana-Missoula. A comprehensive intramural sports program provides opportunities for men's, women's, and co-recreational team competition and individual events.

Recreational facilities include gymnasiums, weight rooms, an indoor running track, handball and racquetball courts, tennis courts, indoor swimming pool, an indoor climbing wall, and a golf course. Sports equipment such as balls, bats, gloves, etc. can be checked out for free and other equipment such as volleyball nets, badminton sets, and horseshoes require a cash deposit. The Recreation Center in the University Center offers video games, billiards, and table tennis for student use.

The Outdoor Program offers services to students, faculty, staff and the general public, supplying information, training, and education about outdoor pursuits and sports. Classes are offered on a non-credit basis or for activity credits through the Health and Human Performance Department. The Outdoor Program also organizes outdoor trips.

University Golf Course

The University of Montana-Missoula has a picturesque nine/eighteen hole golf course open to students, faculty and staff, as well as the general public. It is located approximately one-half mile south of the main campus.

The course has a clubhouse restaurant, driving range, putting and chipping green. The pro shop is well-stocked and club and cart rentals are available. Private lessons are offered by appointment with an assortment of rate structures.

Grizzly Pool

The University of Montana Grizzly Pool is a 7-lane, 25-yard indoor pool. Present programs include: fitness swims, recreational swims, classes for all ages (infant to adult), Lifeguarding and WSI classes, pool rentals, Swim Shop, and competitive skills lessons.

Community Services

Bureau of Business and Economic Research

The Bureau of Business and Economic Research is the research and public service branch of the School of Business Administration.

Montana Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit

The Unit investigates basic and applied problems in wildlife ecology and management. Graduate students, majoring in Wildlife Biology or Biological Sciences, conduct much of the research supported through the Unit by USGS-Biological Resources Division, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, and numerous other agencies and groups.

Continuing Education and Summer Programs


The Center for Continuing Education and Summer Programs reflects The University of Montana's commitment to quality and leadership by integrating its goals of service, scholarship and teaching through innovative outreach programs serving the lifelong learning needs of the citizens of Montana and beyond. This is accomplished by:

  • Cultivating partnerships on and off campus with a variety of public and private individuals and organizations;
  • Assessing needs, designing, marketing, delivering and evaluating local and distance higher education programs.

Credit, non-credit, grant-funded, sponsored and self-supporting programs are developed and managed by four departments within the Center, including: Conferences and Institutes; Educational Outreach; workforce development; and Work-Based Learning. The programs and courses generated by these departments are delivered in a variety of formats including face-to-face and distance learning.

Conferences & Institutes

The Department of Conferences and Institutes (C&I) plans, manages and evaluates quality programming to meet the continuing education needs of society and the professions for updating, retraining and acquiring new knowledge. C&I provides full conference services to assist professional associations, international constituencies, government, business, educational groups and other organizations in meeting their academic and professional development needs. Services include program development; financial management; promotion and publicity; registration; logistics; evaluation; and post program wrap-up. C&I programming areas include professional association meetings; natural resource and ecosystem management; health and humanities; and business and professional education.

Educational Outreach

The Department of Educational Outreach is an integral part of the instructional program of The University of Montana-Missoula. The department offers credit courses and programs for individuals on and off campus through a variety of distance delivery methods. There are two divisions within Educational Outreach including Extended Studies and Summer Programs and External Graduate Programs.

Extended Studies offers ad hoc courses in a variety of disciplines throughout Montana. Summer Programs offers several enrollment options for traditional and non-traditional students throughout the summer. Both graduate and undergraduate courses are offered in more than 30 disciplines along with workshops, colloquia and seminars. The summer catalog includes complete information about the Summer semester and may be obtained by writing to the Division Manager of Extended Studies and Summer Programs, or on the Web at:

External Graduate Programs include an M.B.A. program in Butte, Kalispell, Great Falls, Helena and Missoula; cohort programs in Education at the Masters and Doctoral level; and a multiple-site Pharm.D. program. Web site:

Work-Based Learning

Work-Based Learning and internships are available to students in most disciplines offered at The University of Montana-Missoula. The Center for Work-Based Learning allows a student to work in a field related to his or her academic and career goals while utilizing skills learned in the traditional classroom setting. Information, applications and other forms are available at the Center for Work-Based Learning, Lodge 162, phone 406-243-2815; fax 406-243-5866; or visit the web site at:

Workforce Development

The Center for Workforce Development provides education and training initiatives which focus on the use of technology in fields economically important to the state of Montana and beyond. The goals of the WDC are as follows: develop and support K-12 Science and Technology education through local, regional and global partnerships; work with surrounding western states to provide regional solutions to common workforce and economic development needs; integrate advanced communication and geographic information technologies into K-12, continuing education and employee enhancement programs; combine a highly skilled workforce with Montana;s existing and future industries for 21st century economic development.


Computing and Information Services

Computing and Information Services (CIS), located in the basement of the Liberal Arts Building, in Brantly Hall, and in the Physical Plant, is a division of the Office of Information Technology. CIS offers a variety of services and facilities to support the faculty, staff, and students who use computer technology.

CIS operates a computer network that links hundreds of personal computers in offices and labs, plus several large, time-sharing systems. Full Internet access is provided for such activities as exchanging e-mail, participating in online discussions, browsing through World-Wide Web resources, and searching through library catalogs. Dial-up access to the network is handled through commercial Internet service providers. Interact software is provided at the help desk in LA 139.

Several CIS-managed computer labs on campus offer a variety of equipment, including Macintoshes, PCs running Windows, and adaptive machines for users with disabilities. Software includes a wide selection of programming languages and tools for statistics, graphics, database management, spreadsheets, word processing, and Internet browsing. These facilities are used by faculty, staff, and students in accordance with University policies.

CIS offers free, non-credit short courses, the help desk (LA 139) and other consulting services, and numerous free documents to help users become proficient with computer technology.

Montana Forest and Conservation Experiment Station

The Montana Forest and Conservation Experiment Station was established by the Montana Legislature in 1937 as a non-profit organization devoted to scientific investigation of natural resource problems. The station serves as the research unit of The University of Montana School of Forestry with the dean functioning as station director. The station seeks, through its research and publications, to enhance public understanding of forestry and conservation and contribute to responsible management of our nation's natural resources.

The Shafizadeh Rocky Mountain Center for Wood and Carbohydrate Chemistry

The Center is a research facility specializing in development of new chemical products from carbohydrates (monosaccharides to polysaccharide) found in grains and wood. Targeted applications include consumer products and environmentally safe industrial products such as biodegradable synthetic polymers, pharmaceutical components, and materials for industrial processing.

Stella Duncan Memorial Research Institute

The Institute was created initially by a bequest from an alumna of the University; the funds were designated originally for research on the cause and treatment of bronchial asthma. Current work focuses on the cells and mediators involved in the asthmatic response.

Institute for Tourism and Recreation Research

The Institute was created by the Montana University System Board of Regents in June 1987 to conduct the travel research authorized by the 1987 Legislature. The Institute is the research arm for Montana's travel and recreation industry; its mission is to conduct research that will strengthen the travel component of the state's economy.

Wilderness Institute

The Institute seeks to encourage and support teaching, research and outreach programs focusing on wilderness. The Institute administers the Wilderness and Civilization program of interdisciplinary undergraduate education, a program leading to the Wilderness Studies minor (see the School of Forestry).

Student Rights

Campus Security Report and Alcohol and Drug Guidelines

The health and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors are of paramount concern to The University of Montana-Missoula. Each year the University publishes an annual report outlining on-campus security and safety information and crime statistics. The report provides important information for security awareness and crime prevention programs, emergency procedures and reporting crimes, plus law enforcement and safety services on campus.

Additionally, the booklet contains the University's policy on sexual assault and information about support services for victims of sexual assault. The booklet also includes information about the University's drug and alcohol policy, programs and support services for substance abuse, and risk management guidelines for University-related events.

The booklet is available by writing or calling the Office of Campus Security (406) 342-6131 or the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (406) 243-5225, The University of Montana-Missoula-Missoula, Missoula, MT 59812.

Student Complaint Procedures

Under the terms of the faculty- administration contract at The University of Montana-Missoula, there is a formal procedure for students who have a complaint against a faculty member or an administrator. The handbook for resolving complaints against faculty and administration is available from the ASUM office and outlines the steps to be taken to pursue grievances. The ASUM Student Resolution Officer is available to answer questions about procedures and to serve student concerns. Time restrictions are important in the process so students should review procedures immediately if they feel they may have a complaint.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment)

Consistent with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and University policy, every person who is or has been a student at this University, and the parents of students under 18 who are not taking postsecondary courses, have the following rights:

1. Upon completion of the appropriate request form and submission thereof to the person responsible for the custody and maintenance of the records, a student has the right to inspect and review within 45 days from the date of initial request that portion of any official record which directly relates to the requesting student and to have a copy thereof upon payment of the cost of the copy. An "official record" is any record intended to be used for "school use" or to be available to parties outside the school or school system, specifically including but not necessarily limited to identifying data, academic work completed, level of achievement (grades, standardized achievement test scores), attendance data, scores on standardized intelligence, aptitude, and psychological tests, interest inventory results, health data, family background information, teacher or counselor ratings and observations, and verified reports of serious or recurrent behavior patterns.

The right of inspection and review shall not extend to psychiatric, medical, or counseling records which are intended for personal diagnostic or treatment purposes only. Neither does the right extend retroactively to items of record previously obtained with assurances that confidentiality would be maintained.

With regard to such confidential items, the student has the option of either waiving the right of inspection and review and having those items retained as a part of the record, or of requesting that such confidential items be removed from the student's record and returned to the source or destroyed.

2. The right to a hearing before the Student Court to delete any portion of any record which is inaccurate, misleading or inappropriate. Discrepancies should first be brought to the attention of those responsible for maintaining the records so they may have an opportunity to cure any defects. To the extent defects are not cured, upon request a hearing may be initiated by a written request from the student delivered to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The matter before the Student Court will be the question of the accuracy or appropriateness of the record itself and will not be extended to questions of the judgment of those who contributed to the record. The court will consider (1) whether the record accurately reflects matters intended to be contained here. (2) whether the record is misleading because in its present form it would lead a reasonable person to an incorrect conclusion, or (3) whether matters within the record are inappropriate because the record does not usually or should not reasonably contain such matters as those in question. Upon appropriate determination of the court, any such matters may be ordered deleted from the record.

3. The right to have education records or personally identifiable information from education records kept confidential and not released to third parties without the written consent of the student, except for release to the following:

a. University personnel for legitimate purposes and to the extend required in the ordinary course of the performance of their duties.

b. Authorized representatives of (a) the Comptroller General of the United States, (b) the Secretary, (c) an administrative head of an education agency, or (d) state educational authorities having access to student or other records which may be necessary in connection with the audit and evaluation of federally supported education programs, or in connection with the enforcement of the federal legal requirements which relate to such programs. Provided, that, except when collection of personally identifiable data is specifically authorized by federal law any data collected by such officials with respect to individual students shall not include information (including Social Security numbers) which would permit the personal identification of such students and their parents after the data so obtained has been collected.

c. In compliance with judicial order or any lawfully issued subpoena upon condition that the student is notified of compliance.

d. In connection with a student's application for or receipt of financial aid.

4. The right to refuse to permit the designation of any or all categories of personally identifiable information as "directory information" which is not subject to the above restrictions. The University of Montana-Missoula has defined the following as directory information: student's name, addresses including e-mail, telephone number, date of birth, dates of attendance, date of graduation and degree received, school or college, majors, class, student identification photo, and academic awards or honors.

Any student wishing to exercise this right must inform the University Registrar in writing within two weeks after the start of classes of any personally identifiable information which is not to be designated as directory information with respect to that student in that academic year.

5. The right to have available for inspection by the student a written form signed by any representative of the Comptroller General of the United States, the Secretary, or any administrative head of an education agency who requested and was granted access to the records which states the legitimate educational or other interest that each such person had in requesting access to that particular record.

6. The right to have personal student records transferred to third parties only on condition that such parties will not permit any other party to have access to such information without the written consent of the student. All student records transferred to third parties shall have printed or stamped thereon: "No other person may have access to this information without written consent of the student."

Equal Opportunity

The University of Montana-Missoula is committed to a program of equal opportunity for education, employment and participation in University activities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religious creed, political ideas, marital or family status, physical or mental disability, national origin or ancestry, or sexual orientation.

Statement Of Law

Equal opportunity laws and orders applicable to The University of Montana-Missoula include, but are not limited to, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, Executive Order 11246, Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988, Montana Fair Practices Act of 1974, The Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Montana Nondiscrimination by State and Local Government Act of 1975.

It is illegal in the State of Montana to discriminate against anyone because of race, religion, color, political ideas, age, marital status, sex, mental or physical disability, national origin or ancestry in employment, training, public accommodations, financing, education and government services. With the exception of marital status, this also applies to housing.

Discrimination Grievance Procedure

The University of Montana-Missoula has established a discrimination grievance procedure for employees, students, and applicants for employment or admission who claim to have been unlawfully discriminated against because of any University regulation, policy, practice or the official action of any University employee.

The University is prohibited from retaliating against an individual who has made charges, testified, assisted or participated in any way in any proceeding, investigation or hearing in regard to the violations or alleged violations of laws or orders requiring equal educational and/or employment opportunity.

Persons believing they have been discriminated against should contact:

Nancy Borgmann, Director, Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity

University Hall 020, The University of Montana-Missoula

(406) 243-5710


Montana Human Rights Division

PO Box 1728

Helena, MT 59624-1728

(406) 449-2884

Complaints must be filed within 60 days of the alleged discrimination if filing with the University Discrimination Grievance Officer and within 180 days if filing with the Montana Human Rights.

University of Montana 1998 -1999 Catalog
The University of Montana - Missoula
1999-2000 Catalog | All Catalogs On-Line