Academic advising is critical to student success at University of Montana. All undergraduate students are required to meet with their advisor at least once each semester to review educational progress, discuss future plans and secure schedule approval prior to registration. Additional meetings are recommended for information and guidance on dropping and/or adding courses, changing/declaring majors, exploring available resources and ensuring that graduation requirements are met.

Faculty and professional advisors, as well as peer advising assistants facilitate positive academic advising experiences by:

    • helping students to develop mentoring relationships with faculty and professional staff
    • encouraging students to fulfill their obligation to plan in advance for advising sessions
    • educating students to understand and accept their responsibilities in the advising process and for advising decisions, and
    • promoting frank and productive dialogue about the student's academic goals.

Students improve their academic planning and success by fully using the advising services and by learning about the academic requirements of their major fields, and the University policies for registration and graduation. The UM catalog is the official source of information on these matters. Although advisors are available to assist students, it is important for students to realize that the ultimate responsibility for meeting all graduation requirements is their own.

Mountain Campus Students

When students indicate a major on their application form, it becomes their initial declared major.

Advisor information and assignment is done through the student's major department. If the student is undeclared, pre-Communication Studies, pre-Psychology or Freshman Business, he/she is assigned to a professional advisor at the Undergraduate Advising Center (

To change a major, a student must submit an official Change of Major form to the Registration Desk at Griz Central. Once the new major is formally declared, the student should seek advising from the department.

Students with academic advising questions or concerns may contact the Undergraduate Advising Center, Lommasson Suite 269, The University of Montana, Missoula, MT 59812,, or by phone at (406)243-2835.

Missoula CollegeStudents

Students are assigned an academic advisor in their major (program) upon acceptance to the Missoula College.

Academic programs are identified by the major the student declared on his/her Admissions application, or by an official change of major form filed by the student.

For questions regarding assigned advisors, or to change advisors, students can contact Student Services at 243-7882 or in the Missoula College Administration building.

For other questions or concerns about advising, students may contact their Department offices, Student Services (243-7882) or the Retention Coordinator (243-7878).