Transfer Student Admission

Academic Eligibility

Undergraduate degree applicants who have graduated from high school or have earned a GED and have attempted twelve or more college level credits must meet the academic eligibility requirements described here.  Any undergraduate degree transfer applicant who has attempted fewer than twelve college level credits must meet the academic eligibility requirements for freshman mentioned in the freshman admission section.

Applicants must present a 2.00 (C) cumulative grade average (on a 0-4 scale) for all college level work attempted to be eligible for admission.

How to Apply

Applications for admission are available from Enrollment Services-Admissions by request or are available on the University Admissions Transfer web page.

Receipt of the following credentials in Enrollment Services-Admissions constitutes a complete application for admission:

  1. Application Form. Applications must be complete and signed.
  2. Application Fee.  The fee is $30.00 or $36 when applying on-line. This non-refundable fee is payable once at the undergraduate level provided payment is followed by enrollment. Record of payment will remain on file for one year for students who do not enroll. An application cannot be considered prior to payment of this fee. The University of Montana-Missoula waives the application fee for students who have attended an affiliate campus: Montana Tech, Montana Tech College of Technology, Helena College of Technology, and University of Montana Western.
  3. Official College/University Transcripts. The student must supply a complete official transcript from each regionally accredited college or university attended, and from each college or university attended holding candidate status for regional accreditation. Applications from students who are enrolled at the transfer school while applying to UM will be considered for admission based on current official transcripts showing all academic work completed and posted to date. The final official transcript must be on file before the second registration at UM. Academic eligibility will be reviewed upon receipt of the complete transcript.
  4. Immunization Form.  All students are required to submit a completed Pre-Registration Immunization Form to the Curry Health Center two weeks prior to registration. It is important that the immunization record be complete and accurate and validated by a health official.  Students born after December 31, 1956 must submit proof of immunization or titer against Rubella and measles (Rubeola).  Students will not be allowed to register until the Curry Health Center has received proof of immunization. 

When to Apply

Applications and all required documents submitted by the following dates will receive priority consideration:

  • March 1 - Autumn semester
  • November 15 - Spring semester

Applications received after the priority dates are considered on a space-available basis.

Writing Course Requirement Regarding Transfer Students

The Admissions Office (406-243-6266) evaluates transcripts for course equivalencies with the exception of UM’s approved writing courses. If transfer students believe a transfer course meets the approved writing course requirement defined in the Faculty Senate Writing Committee guidelines they may petition for an exemption through the Writing Committee. These students must provide the following information to the Writing Committee. Appeal information should be submitted to the Faculty Senate Office, UH 221,, 243-5553.

  1. A cover letter outlining the basis for the request. Include pertinent information such as contact information, student ID number, and how you fulfilled this requirement in a course at your previous institution.
  2. A syllabus and course description. The course must include at least 16 pages of writing for assessment and at least 50% of the course grade should be based on your performance on writing assignments.
  3. Three papers from any college class with original instructor comments. Original instructor comments are those grading and feedback markings on papers that are returned to the student for revision or at the end of the term. Papers without these comments will not be considered. At least one of these papers must be at least six pages long and include a bibliography or works cited. Your papers should demonstrate your ability to:
  • Use writing to learn and synthesize new concepts
  • formulate and express written ideas that are developed, logical, and organized
  • Compose written texts that are appropriate for a given audience, purpose, and context
  • Revise written work based on comments from the instructor
  • Find, evaluate, and use information effectively and ethically
  • Begin to use discipline-specific writing conventions
  • Demonstrate appropriate English language usage.

Incomplete packets will not be evaluated.

This information pertains only to the approved writing course, not the departmental upper-division writing requirement.  Students should speak to their major department regarding any issues relating to the upper-division writing requirement.