The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
Shali Zhang, Dean of Libraries
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library at the University of Montana provides an array of information resources and services in support of the teaching, learning, and research programs of the University. These resources include print collections and access to networked research databases, electronic journals e-books, media materials, and a web-based integrated library cataloging and discovery platform. Library services include in-depth research and reference assistance, an extensive instruction program integrated into the university curriculum, and full-service computing and media facilities. Extensive services for online education students and faculty are available to provide an equitable educational experience.
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library comprises the heart of UM’s library system. Collections exceed 1.75 million volumes, more than 800,000 electronic books, access to over 75,000 print and electronic journals, an expanding array of electronic databases, over 72,000 media, a federal government depository collection and an Archives and Special Collections. These resources are supplemented by an active interlibrary loan service through which items from other libraries can be loaned to UM students and faculty. The Mansfield Library is open seven days a week for 111 hours per week during the academic semesters.
Over 130 computers available for student use and wireless access throughout the building provides fast and stable internet connectivity in support of access to electronic resources and access to other networked information. Three state-of-the-art instructional classrooms underscore the goal of the library as a learning library in which students learn how to access and evaluate information in support of their advancing academic careers. Study carrels, group study rooms, study tables, and soft seating on all floors of the library provide a variety of study environments.
The Mansfield Library at Missoula College UM (located on the East Campus) supports its curricular programs. Students and faculty at both campuses have access to all library resources and services. Students at Bitterroot College UM, in Hamilton, also have full access to the Mansfield Library's resources and services. The library collections at the affiliated UM campuses are located in Butte at Montana Tech, and Highlands College of Montana Tech; in Dillon at The Carson Library of the University of Montana-Western; and in Helena at Helena College the University of Montana.
- Barry Brown, Head of Access and Collection Services; Science Librarian
- Kim Granath, Head of Information and Research Services; Public Health Librarian
- Donna E. McCrea, Head of Archives and Special Collections / Professor
- Sue Samson, Humanities Librarian; Instruction Coordinator
- Shali Zhang, Dean of Libraries
- Susanne Caro, Government Documents Librarian
- Julie Edwards, Ethnic Studies Librarian; Diversity Coordinator
- Teressa Keenan, Head of Bibliographic and Research Services Division; Metadata Librarian
- Tammy Ravas, Visual and Performing Arts Librarian; Media Coordinator
- Megan Stark, Undergraduate Services Librarian
- Kate Zoellner, Education and Human Sciences Librarian
- Adrienne Alger, Online Learning and Instructional Technology Librarian
- Wendy Walker, Digital Initiatives Librarian
- Jaci Wilkinson, Web Services Librarian
Adjunct Assistant Professors
- Natalie Bond, Political Papers Archivist
- Jill Howard
- Kimberly Swanson